Nicholsville, Ky. — For the second straight year, the University of Chicago women’s tennis team captured the ITA Division III national team indoor championship with a 5-1 victory over Claremont-Mud-Scripps on Sunday.
Sunday’s showdown included the nation’s top two teams as well as a rematch of the 2022 NCAA Division III Championship Finals. This time, the No. 2-ranked Maroons (8–0 record) proved too strong in a lineup for the No. 1-ranked Athenas (4–1 record).
The doubles played very closely in three matches. While CMS won the tiebreaker at No. 3, UChicago won the other two contests. No. 1 pair of Sylvia Mikos,shiana guo won 8–6, while the No. 2 tandem Claudia Ng,peren wang Won 8-5.
In the opening stages of singles the two programs were split in the first set, 3–3. nicole gellar (No. 3), Brooke Pedersen (No. 4) and Claudia Ng (No. 6) won in straight sets to give the Maroons the points they needed to clinch the title. The remaining three matches remained incomplete.
This marked the second ITA indoor title in program history for UChicago. The 2022 squad previously defeated Emory University, 5-4.
“Our play all weekend and today was about the resilience and resolve of a championship team,” said head coach JT. “They had every opportunity to make excuses that the finals start on Monday or that they were tired or stressed or many other things, but that is not what this team is about and therefore their success is not a fluke. Earlier The day after, they were determined to outlast the other team and keep fighting no matter the circumstances, and they did exactly that. In the final, we did a good job of making it not about revenge, the championship or the goal. Rather , we just wanted to be together and play ball, not an opponent or the moment, which we did. I couldn’t be happier for the team or more proud to be sharing the courts with them this weekend Was.
UChicago 5, Claremont-Mud-Scripps 1
1. Sylvia Mikos (UC) v Alisha Chulani (CMS) 4-6, 6-1, 1-2 unfinished
2. shiana guo (UC) v Audrey Yoon (CMS) 0-6, 4-5, incomplete
3. nicole gellar (UC) def. Katherine Wuster (CMS) 6-3, 6-1
4. Brooke Pedersen (UC) def. Ella Brissett (CMS) 7-5, 6-4
5. Miranda Yuan (UC) vs. Senna Selby (CMS) 2-6, 5-4, unfinished
6. Claudia Ng (UC) def. Nikolina Batoshvili (CMS) 6-4, 6-2
1. Sylvia Mikos,shiana guo (UC) def. Alisha Chulani/Nikolina Batoshvili (CMS) 8-6
2. Claudia Ng,peren wang (UC) def. Olivia Elmi / Audrey Yoon (CMS) 8-5
3. Katherine Wuster/Senna Selby (CMS) def. nicole gellar,Lauren Khao (UC) 8-7 (7-3)
- Wednesday, March 15 @ 10:00 AM – UChicago at Trinity University (Texas)