Every woman wants her hair to be shiny, black and thick. But not everyone can raise their hand if asked, “Who has thicker hair?” In fact, Harvard Health Publishing found that hair loss is a common problem, and about one-third of women face it. When women get older, especially in the post-menopausal phase, two-thirds of women suffer from bald spots or thinning hair. If you are one of them, you must have tried different shampoos and hair treatments. Perhaps it is time to check your kitchen and look for rice water for hair growth.
Health Shots got in touch to find out whether rice water works for hair growth or not Dr Smita NaramAn Ayurvedic Physician and Pharmaceutical Herbalist.
benefits of rice water for hair
We know that rice is rich in carbohydrates and hence women who want to lose weight remove it from their diet. But carbohydrates can be good for your hair! Here are some of the reasons why using rice water is good for hair.
• It contains inositol, which is a carbohydrate. This can help repair damaged hair and then stimulate hair growth, says Dr Naram.
• It also has a pH level that is close to the pH level of the hair. This in turn prevents hair fall and breakage.
• Rice water contains vitamins B and E, which nourish hair and improve its texture.
• It can soothe your scalp and reduce inflammation. It can help reduce dandruff and improve hair elasticity,
rice water for hair growth
Experts say that rice water can help hair growth by providing inositol, amino acids, nutrients, minerals, antioxidants, and provide protection against free radicals and environmental stress. It can also strengthen hair roots and prevent breakage, allowing hair to grow longer and healthier.
How to make rice water for hair?
It is very easy to make rice water at home. Here’s what to do –
1. Wash one cup of rice thoroughly with water and then add two cups of water.
2. Sieve the rice after 30 minutes and collect the water in a vessel.
3. To use rice water on hair, apply it and massage your scalp.
4. Leave it on your hair for 10 to 15 minutes and then wash it off with cold water.
Club rice water with other natural ingredients for hair growth
You can always use rice water straight, but mixing it with other natural ingredients can enhance its benefits for hair growth, says Dr. Naram.
Rice water with natural ingredients:
1. Amla or Indian gooseberry
Eating isn’t the only way to enjoy health benefits of amla, You can add amla to your rice water, as it is rich in Vitamin C, which helps in nourishing hair follicles, promoting hair growth and preventing hair fall.
2. Fenugreek Seeds
They are known to have a high concentration of protein, which can help strengthen hair. Once your hair becomes stronger, hair breakage will no longer be a problem. It also promotes growth when mixed with rice water.
3. Rosemary oil
Rosemary oil is believed to increase blood circulation to the scalp and also help stimulate hair growth. So, you can always use henna oil for hair growth,
Can someone be allergic to rice water?
Experts say that rice water is generally safe, but some people may be allergic to it. If you experience any kind of allergy then you should stop using it immediately. Also, women with oily hair or scalp should avoid using rice water, as it can make their hair greasy and strip natural oils from their hair.
How often can you use rice water?
It’s best not to go overboard with rice water. It can be used on hair once or twice a week to promote hair growth, strengthen hair and prevent breakage. It can also be used as a leave-in conditioner and, when combined with other natural ingredients, can help promote healthy hair growth.