Monaco — Rafael Nadal He is aiming to return from a hip injury at next month’s clay-court Monte Carlo Masters, organizers said Wednesday.
The 22-time Grand Slam champion has been sidelined with a left hip injury since the Australian Open and has been ruled out of hard-court tournaments in Indian Wells and Miami.
The Monte Carlo Masters starts on April 8 and tournament director David Massey is optimistic that Nadal will play.
“Rafa was the first [player] “To be registered,” Macy’s said in a statement.
Nadal, 36, has won the tournament a record 11 times, including an Open Era record streak of eight consecutive titles from 2005 to 2012.
He uses the event as an important part of his preparation for the French Open, which takes place from 28 May to 11 June.
Nadal has won 14 of his major titles on clay at Roland Garros, including battling chronic pain in his left foot last year.
In January, Nadal injured his hip flexor during a second-round loss to the American. Mackenzie McDonald In Australian Open.
An MRI the next day revealed the extent of the injury.